November 16, 2009

Martin Blanco






This past week I attended the Downtown Los Angeles artwalk. In the Los Angeles Center for Digital Art a photo of mine hung on a wall next to the person I would like to introduce you to this week. This artist's name is Martin Blanco. I immediately jotted down his name so I could look up his other work once I got home. What I've
found online were several photo/mixed media art that I knew I had to post (if not for your viewing pleasure, so that I won't forget his name).







Martin has established himself as a master of mixed media art by combining illustrations with photos and a vision of darkness. When I look at these images, I am reminded of pictures I used to draw when I was younger. It almost feels like Martin has captured my imagination & thoughts on paper.

"Since 1998, I have been involved in the creation of dark art, developing themes like the pass of time and the unavoidable arrival of old age and death. I have always tried to focus my attention in expressing the desperation, anxiety and oppression that people feel when this time comes by creating dense atmospheres where characters are immersed. I have always liked mixing different media in my drawings and I have been finally able to explore all those possibilities when I started making digital art. Digital has opened Pandora’s box to me, giving me the freedom of combining my photographs with digital painting every time I need it and it has also increased the speed of my production. To create the atmospheres mentioned above, I use light and color contrasts, with highlights and dark shadows, since I am influenced by the work of the ancient masters like Caravaggio and Michelangelo. I also add textures and some visual noise to the backgrounds". -Martin Blanco

2 comments:

  1. Hello Cathy,

    This is Martin Blanco. I have found this post checking my web page analytics.
    I would like to thank you for this post and your kind words about my work, that was great!
    I have tried to check your web page but something is wrong with the link.
    I would like to see your work so if you don't have any problem, send me an email with your web page.
    You will find my contact info on my webpage.
    I will add your blog in my favorite list to be updated!
    Again, thank you very much and let's keep in contact if you don't mind.

    Regards

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin!

    My website is cimmordinophotography.com.

    Thanks for making this one of your favorite blogs!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete